9/10/08

Moose Hunt

I have been busy hunting Moose with my buddies and their kids.  I took my friends son out opening weekend, three adults took out the three boys.  We snuck up on a very nice fork horn bull and got him friday night in unit 14.  We packed him out that night after a lot of work and set out the next morning.  I went with Bill and his son, we saw 16 moose, three bulls that were all between the size restrictions.  My other friend, Dave took both of his boys down the trail and shot a 36 inch bull with three brow tines.  We packed that moose out and called it a weekend.

I then went with the same two friends and their wives to unit 13.  Bills wife got a nice fork horn opening morning and we got it to camp early in the afternoon.  Bill and I walked around in the evening spotting 7 bulls, all were sub legal until we spotted two very nice moose.  After a 4.5 mile hike in the afternoon we stalked within 250 yards of both bulls, I dropped min and bill missed, that bull ran off.  My moose was 55 inches, 5 brow tines one side, three on the other.  We hunted for three more days not seeing another legal moose until half way out Bill shot a nice fork horn bull.  He dropped it with one shot in a swamp.  We winched the moose out of the water, onto dry land and had it skinned, gutted and loaded in just over an hour.   All in all a great year of moose hunting, 5 moose in two weeks.

Greg