8/26/07

Little Su 8-26

I fished for Silver salmon on the Little Su today. I took four clients up river from the landing on a foggy and cool morning run. We found groups of fish, 15 to 250 fish schools. The fish were very reluctant to bite and were not very aggressive. I was just plain miffed at why we were not able to catch more fish. This was a group of very good fisherman that were willing to try fly fishing, spinners, eggs and plugs. We put in a full day of fishing to catch 5 Silvers, one bright fish, three in good shape and one that had turned pretty red. A few of the fish would follow the lures but never commit while others woud move out of the way of everything including eggs. I am guessing that with the low numbers of fish in the river these fish have seen just about everything that can be trown at them. It may also be that the low water is warmer and the fish are lethargic, whatever the reason the catching was poor today. This will likely be my last salmon trip of the season, I have a pike trip on the 8th-9th and will post our results after the trip. I will start writing again next spring when we pick up the ice fishing and early salmon trips.