7/9/08

Little Su 7-9

I fished the Little Su today with four clients. We started the trip late and did not fish the first hole until 6:25 am. The water was still up and a bit dirty, I think that this helped the fishing today. We went through the Slide hole without a bite first thing and I decided to move up river. We passed another guide that was taking care of a fish and his clients. I pulled into the next hole and began my drift. We hooked and landed a 16 pound king, boating it at 6:40. We drifted the hole again after taking care of signing the license and landed a 15 pound king at 6:55. Both of these fish were very red but the clients elected to keep them. We drifted the hole two more times without a strike and I decided to move to a fresh hole. I passed two boats in holes that I wanted to fish but decided on one that I had hooked and lost a king on the previous trip. I told the clients where the bites were likely going to happen and we hooked and landed a 16 pound male at 7:20. This fish was also very red and the client elected to keep it. We motored to the top of the hole signed our license and l began another drift. I joked about the last rod being the toughest and we may be in for a 3 hour wait for the next bite. But as luck would have it we waited about three minutes. We hooked a 27 pound king in the same spot landing it at 7:33. This was also a very red male but the group was happy to have four fish and be on their way to breakfast at the Windbreak. We took our time heading to the landing and saw Eagles, a beaver, ducks and shore birds. No bear today but I did see several Moose on the drive in and out and quite a few snowshoe hares. This was one of the fastest trips of the year and a great group of gentlemen to end the king season with. We will start fishing for silvers around the 20th of August. Give us a call if you want to go fishing with Alaska Susitna Charters for Silver Salmon.

Greg Giauque