6/12/07

Little Su 6-12

I guided two guests this morning and we caught two kings. The fish were 34 and 28 lbs and were caught on a K15 Kwik Fish and a Spin-n-Glo. Today was a treat for me; the last fish was a first fish for a young lady under 16. She had one of those bites that she will never forget, she almost lost my GLoomis rod. She fought it perfectly and it made several hard runs. I live for giving everyone a great experience but especially kids. There was allot of boat traffic down river today and the fishing was slow. Most of the guides did well but there were very few other fish brought in. The noon count was 29 when I left the landing. We caught the first fish on the second drift at 6:45am and the second fish at 11:35am. Another guide told me he did not have a bite until 10:00 am and I noticed several guides with multiple lines in the water as the mid day break neared. It appeared that most of them boated their fish after 11:00 am. The water remains lower than the 50-year average on the Little Su, the levels are rising and falling daily as the snow pack melts. Rain would bring the water up and likely improve the fishing.
We saw a yearling moose swim the river in front of us on the way down today and saw the family of geese on the way up.
I visited with Norm from Rainbow River Charters, he was fishing the Little Su today due to slow fishing on the Deshka the last week. He said he expected the fish to come in any day on the Deshka, He said the sloughs below the Deshka are full of fish, but it is near impossible to catch them in the murky/ fresh water mix.